Thursday, June 9, 2011

Life Here at Camp Nola Kidz

Hey Everyone!!

Life here at Camp Nola has been crazy busy for the past couple of weeks, so I have not been able to get on here and write a post.

We are into our second week of camp right now and things are going great!
I'm not sure how many kids we have had in the Pre-K camp, but I know that it is around 30.
The other part of the camp that is all the older kids, they have had many more, with close to or over 100 children.

I have around 10 campers in my group!
We are the Yellow or the Sun group!
They are absolutely precious and I love them, however they can most certainly be a handful.

I had this notion in my head at the beginning of camp that most of the kids were in some way associated with the seminary, because we have camp here on campus. Then, I quickly remembered that that is not true. Only a handful of kids have parents that are either students or professors. The rest are here from the community or have attended the preschool throughout the actual school year. So, the kids that are coming to our camp truly do see many different things and have different lives. They are true inner city kids, living just a few blocks from downtown New Orleans. Who knows what these kids experience when they go home. They look like they are well taken care of, but we of course don't know. Most are dropped off by parents and some are dropped off by grandparents.

A big number of the children are also ADD or ADHD. This in fact changes the way that we have to do some things with them. Whether in the way we teach, discipline, or just talk to. It can be hard. It has been hard. Definitely a new challenge for me. It is also easily frustrating, which stinks because you know that it isn't their fault! Especially at the age of 4 and 5 it also has to be hard for them as well. They also have so much energy! I wonder where it all comes from! There is just so much! haha It can be hard to transition them from one activity to another. Some days it is awful, while other days it is very easy and they are so into everything that we do!

I have two main prayer requests for right now. One, that I will be able to teach, discipline, and be a friend to these children in the way that they need it. They are all different so it can be challenging, but so important I believe. Second, that I will have more than enough energy to keep up with the kids. About every day my 30 minute break time is spent taking a nap in my bed. I want to be able to keep up with the children and be fun all day, not just in the middle of the afternoon, but also in the morning when I am tired and at the end of the day when I am getting tired or may be frustrated with something that is happening.

A great thing can take place at this camp this summer. I pray that everyone here or associated with camp will be completely overwhelmed by the Spirit of the Lord and that a great revival will happen. That children, parents and even the people of New Orleans will see the one, true God and accept Him as their Savior.
I pray that we put aside our own ambitions and dreams and start truly living on fire for Christ.
That in everything we do, He will be seen.
I pray that through everything we do, the Gospel will be seen.
I pray this for everyone and myself.

Lord, be my all consuming fire.  

1 comment:

  1. Yep, little ones can sure wear ya out, I know about that :)Praying for lots of energy for you, and wisdom and creativity about how to keep them intrigued while teaching them the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete