Hey Everyone!
First, I just wanted to say thank you to the encouragement and prayers that ya'll have been pouring out on those last two posts.
I really appreciate it!
Although it has been a hard 8 months, it has also been very good.
God has been showing my His sovereignty and His protection through it all.
So, thank you!
:-)
I have been in New Orleans for a week now!
Staff training was this past week and is now over!
We have this weekend and then the kids start coming on Monday!!
I am very excited for this summer to truly begin with the kids coming to camp!
This past week we have been doing team-building with the other staffers, learning fun camp songs (that have been in my head continuously!), learning games, and going over the curriculum for this summer!
Originally, I was going to work with the older kids camp.
Which is the kids who have completed kindergarten through 8th or 9th grade.
Now, I have been switched to working with the Pre-K camp!
Which is the 4s and 5-year-olds.
It is going to be a switch and different, but I am excited for it.
At first I was a little bummed because I really wanted to work with the older kids.
But, at the beginning of the summer, I told them that I wouldn't mind being switched and that I could help wherever needed.
So, I'm trying to not be bummed, but be excited in working with the smaller kids. I have already meet some of them and they are very fun! haha
I will still be a counselor for a group of kids, but they will rotate throughout the day to do the different activities, so I will not always be with them because I also teach and help with the rotations they are going to!
I will be helping with the crafts and with teaching them Spanish!
Both of which are very fun! haha
Although, it has been like two years since I have taken Spanish, but I figured that the basics would come back to me as we started teaching the little ones!
:-)
Throughout the day the kids will go to bible story time, crafts, recreation, swimming, and special guests on Fridays!
It is set up a lot like a Vacation Bible School, just all summer and every day!
I am loving being in New Orleans!
I love the atmosphere of the city
and of course
the amazing food!
I have been to some great places so far!
One of my goals for this summer is to go to places that are local.
I have done the typical, cliche New Orleans things many times before.
So, now it is time to experience other places that are just as great!
One of the girls working here this summer also worked the camp last year.
So, she has taken us to some of the places they went to last summer.
There are also many locals of New Orleans, the city or the seminary, or from another area of Louisiana.
We have a great number of people who can take us to some great places!
We have a great number of people who can take us to some great places!
:-)
Here are some pics (courteous of the internet) of the places that we have been so far!





Glad you are doing well! And oh my goodness, you will love 4&5 year olds!! That's who I teach, and I love them. They don't have an attitude yet, and they think you're the coolest person in the world! Good luck, and can't wait to read your entries!
ReplyDeleteJess, I have been dying to leave you a comment, and I finally just figured out how to fix the comment glitch on blogger that has been driving me nuts! Anyways, reading your last couple of posts, I know more that ever that God big plans for you, and his hand of protection has been over you. I am so excited to hear about all the ways he uses you this summer!
ReplyDeleteMy best friend and I were talking the other day, and she was like...don't you just want to hop on a plane and go to Alabama to help. I told her yes, in a heartbeat, and then of course I proceeded to tell her about my friend Jess that lives in Tuscaloosa (although now in nola)...then she asked me how I knew you, and I told her through blogging, and she gave me one of those sideways you're crazy looks, but I convinced her you really are a real friend even though we've never met.
Anyways, love ya, praying for ya :)