Just thought I would share with ya'll some of my favorite moments from this week.
Most deal with camp
and
some are moments with other staffers.
I loved one conversation I had with a girl who I asked if her parents were missionaries. She responded with yes they are and so am I! I was like yes, you certainly are. Then, she also told me that she wants to go to Africa and Chile one day to tell the people there about Jesus.
Me too L., me too.
Another moment is one that I had with the same little girl above, L. We were working on a craft (making crowns) and I heard her singing. What was she singing? Mighty to Save.
Needless to say that I joined in!
:-)
There is one moment that I didn't enjoy, but later turned memorable.
It involves a little boy, T. He is so great and has definitely become my buddy these past few days.
Well, yesterday was the first day that I had to get on to him.
I saw him hit another boy, just in play, but still.
It happened right in front of me and I was told him, no sir! We do not hit our friends. You need to say sorry and not to hit again.
Well, he did apologize and then he walked off to a chair by himself.
I looked over at him and I see him starting to cry.
I. Felt. Awful.
I did not want to get on to him, but I also know that all the kids need to be treated the same.
He didn't cry for long and went back to playing.
I called him over and told him that I was sorry for yelling at him, but I needed him to know that it is not right for us to hit friends. He said he understood and I asked him if he could forgive me.
He shook his head no.
I was like okay, knowing that most likely he would change his mind.
I let him go play and went to go pick up some toys and clean a little
and
when I stood up, T. came running over to me and gave me a big hug!
My buddy was back.
:-)
I also enjoyed that while I was outside, the same boy above, T., wanted me to help him as he hung from the play place. Our play place doesn't have monkey bars, but the kids discovered today that they could make something like it, by just hanging from one part of the play place and crossing over.
Well, I was helping T. cross over the makeshift monkey bars and then lift him down because he didn't want to jump down and then I had walked away to do something. He came running up to me, wanting me to follow him back to the play place. But, I was busy doing something then. T. told me that he just wasn't going to show me if I didn't come right then. So, I went with him and he told me to watch him.
I watched as he climbed up and shimmied across the "monkey bars" and let go falling to ground and landing on his feet.
All by himself!
I was very proud! haha
I gave him a high five
and
then he showed me again how he could do it.
All by himself.
That above story just shows me a little bit of how I am going to watch these children change over the summer.
A lot of change happens in these years (4&5)
and
it is exciting to see what is going to take place.
They are going to grow so much.
I also love that I can pinpoint some of my Child Development knowledge in these kids.
Looks like I am learning something during class! Ha!
Another favorite moment from camp happened when I was leaving work and walking back to my dorm.
The children that were still there were outside playing on the playground
and
I was walking past the fence.
I got into the parking lot next to the playground and I heard a kid say, hey that is Ms. Jessica!
I turned around and some of the kids were yelling at me!
They were telling me bye and that they would see me on Monday!
It was very awesome.
Definitely a favorite moment.
Another favorite moment that is not in camp, but is instead with Staffers!
There is Camp Nola Kidz staff and then MissionLab staff.
We have gone to the movies with them and gone to eat with them, but
this past week has been like bonding week for us all.
We have gone to church and worship during the week with them.
Wednesday was one of our staff member's birthday, so we all went to eat and MissionLab came with us.
Thursday was the birthday of a staffer from MissionLab so we had fun with that.
Today we are planning on going to play Laser Tag with them
and
it is also another staffer's, from MissionLab, birthday.
So, we are going to eat for his birthday.
So, we are going to eat for his birthday.
It has been great getting to know them and hang out with them.
They are so much fun and it is great that we all have this bond going on.
Okay, well I think those of most of my favorite moments from this past week.
I know I have many more, but these are the ones that I could remember right now.
Week 3 of Camp went by really fast
and
I am really tired!
:-)

Aww, your story about little T is so cute. Sometimes discipline is hard (on us!), but we have to remember that in the long run it really is good for them. I still have days when I come home from work and I just feel horrible about all the discplining I've had to do...but as long as we do it in love and not in anger, it is a wonderful and meaningful thing. I am sure you know that, but in the moment of feeling bad it can be hard to remember.
ReplyDelete