Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Like a Child

This past week, I feel like God has been wanting me to pay attention to the mind of a child. 
They are so creative, funny, unafraid of some things and afraid of others, imaginative, 
passionate, temperamental, demanding and loving. 
They are untouched by the world in so many ways, but some have seen things far beyond their years.
I constantly want to keep them the innocent 4 and 5 year olds that they are, but I know that eventually
 (and that may come sooner than I wish)
they will no longer just see what is on the playground.

They will grow up and learn all the things that are going on in this world.
They will know what I know and maybe even more.
They will see that the world is filled with evil, lurking all around them. 
Trying it's best to get a hold of them.
Trying to tear them away from the innocence that they know now.

They will see the death, the violence, the racism and discrimination, the sex, drugs, alcohol, and money.

They will see everything that I don't want them to see.

I love how at this age they are unconcerned with the color of people's skin.
To them, they are all the same.

I want so badly to shelter them from the evil that is out to steal, kill, and destroy.

I know that, for right now, I am only here for a summer.
I will only be with them for 8 more weeks.

What happens after?
Only the Lord knows.

I pray earnestly that He will protect them in all their many situations.
I am confident that He will.

I pray that all of them will come to know the Lord and have a saving, personal relationship with Him.

I pray that the seeds planted in their young lives this summer will continue to be tended to
and that one day, they will say yes to the Savior and let Him be their King.

I know that work done for the Lord is never in vain
and that His Word is faithful and true.

I know that He saves lives
and
changes hearts.

I know that He loves the little children.
That He loves all of us.
That He wants a relationship with all of us, even though some choose to say no.

My Jesus saves.

I know that these children are no different.
And I am praying for them, that one day,
 they will say yes to Lord
that is calling them to do great things.

I pray that we can be like little children.
That we can look beyond the differences of our skin, language, or culture
and just see the person in front of us.
I pray that we will not pass anyone by because of the way they are or how they look,
but instead that we will see through the lens of Christ.
We will see their heart
and tell them about Jesus.
I pray that we continuously plant and nourish seeds.
I pray that we never lose faith that our God can do great and mighty things.
I pray that we remember that He is still changing lives
and
that He won't relent.

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, 'Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?' He called a little child and had him stand among them. And He said, 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes a little child like this is my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." 
-- Matthew 18:1-6



No comments:

Post a Comment