Friday, January 7, 2011

My Goal for 2011 (and years to come)

I am reading this book by Elisabeth Elliot that is called "The Journals of Jim Elliot".
If you look over on the left side of my blog, you can see the cover and click on it to find out more information about the book.

I am reading it very slowly though, because I feel like it contains so much wisdom.
I am reading Jim Elliot's words, the very words and prayers that he wrote.
And let me tell you, it is good!

If nothing more from this book, you can see that he was a true man of God.

Jim Elliot was a missionary that went to Ecuador with four other men to contact the Auca Indians. A people group that was seemingly unreached at the time.
They wanted to make contact with them with the goal of preaching the Gospel to them.
They were among the Indians for close to a year and had gained some ground and trust with them.

But, in January of 1956, Jim Elliot and the four other men were speared to death by the Auca Indians.

There is much wisdom in the book that I am reading.
Many quotes of which I love and want to live out.

I came across one last night that is brillant. And it is my goal of 2011 and the years to come.

Jim Elliot wrote on February 29, 1948:
"What man or household is sufficient to take in all that the Lamb of God embodies? None. He must be shared with the neighbors."

Essentially it is the Great Commission found in Matthew 28:19-20, which says:
"Go therefore and make disciples of every nation, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And I am surely with you always, to the very end of the age."

My goal for 2011 and the years to come is to glorify Christ with my entire being. To be the obedient daughter of Christ that I am called to be. To share His love and Word with eveyone that I come into contact with. That I will be bold and obedient for the cause of Christ. Because, as a believer and follower of Him, it is what should be my desire. It is my honor to be a vessel for Christ. It is commanded of me.

And though I will fail and stumble along the way, I know that I have a Savior who will pick me up time after time and a Savior who will continue to equip me as I need to be, all so that His glory may be shown.
That He may be exalted.

It's going to be a great year.


2 comments:

  1. I need to read that!! Wasn't that also made into a movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great book so far! The one that I believe the movie is based off of is called, "Through Gates of Splendor". The movie is The End of the Spear. That book is also by his wife Elisabeth Elliot. Who is an amazing author. I recently read her book "Passion and Purity" which was also really good. Anything by her is amazing. They are such Godly and wise people! :-)

    ReplyDelete