Saturday, August 4, 2012

Heading To Tahoe City, California

In my last post (which I feel was forever ago), I announced that I was accepted as a semester missionary with the North American Mission Board (NAMB). I am very excited for this opportunity to travel and serve the Lord in Tahoe City, California. 

I will be serving at First Baptist Church Lake Tahoe as a preschool teacher in their Preschool for children ages 3-5. They also have a before and after school program for kindergartners through sixth grade children. The church also has various programs throughout the month for parents like My Morning Out and Parent's Night Out, where parents can drop off their kids for childcare and have time for themselves. The church is also involved in ski ministry, where they have church on the slopes, although this is only a spring semester ministry. 

Between both the Preschool and the School Program there will be about 90-100 children a day. Me along with the other semester missionaries will lead Bible stories, learning activities, crafts, educational centers, and games. Most the families who have children in the programs are not Christians. However, in the past these families have become more involved with FBC Lake Tahoe and some have come to have a relationship with Christ. 

The full-time population of Tahoe City is actually really small. While yearly they will have close to 9 million visitors. Tahoe City is the home of Lake Tahoe, the eighth deepest lake in the world. Most of the Lake resides in California, while the rest lies in Nevada. Lots of people come to Tahoe in the summer and winter for the Lake and the great skiing. 

Tahoe City is about 4 hours from San Francisco, 5 hours from Yosemite National Park, and an hour away from Reno, Nevada. 

I will be flying out to Tahoe on August 14th and returning home on December 22nd. 

I am so excited for this opportunity and to be in California. This is the farthest that I have lived and served from home so far, which makes it a little daunting. But, I am ready to be there, meet the people, and meet the kids. Not to mention to be in beautiful Tahoe City! Below is a picture of Lake Tahoe. 


I can't wait to share this journey with you guys!
I hope you will continue reading to learn more about the ministry and everyone involved. 

:-) 

4 comments:

  1. Lake Tahoe really is beautiful! I hope we can figure out a way to hang out sometime while you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome! I believe that we get to visit San Francisco one weekend. How close are you to there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am about 3 hours from SF, but it's definitely do-able. I am close to Yosemite, so let me know if you happen to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I think they took the summer missionaries to Yosemite, so I'm hoping that we get to go as well!! I want to see it so bad! I will definitely keep in contact with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete