Monday, July 9, 2012

Fruit of the Spirit -- Love

I have decided to go through and study the fruits of the Spirit as listed in Galatians. I hope to do one fruit a day until I have gone through them all. Most of what I write in these posts I have gathered from various online resources.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, 
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness 
and 
self-control." 
Galatians 5:22 

Love = a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person, feeling of warm personal attachment. 

Strong's Dictionary = agape, affection, good will, love, benevolence, brotherly love, love feasts

This agape form of love occurs around 116 times in the New Testament. 

Love is a caring commitment, affection and delight shown to one another, which is grounded in God Himself. In His words and actions and Christ's death on the Cross, God demonstrates the nature of love and defines the direction in which human love, in all forms, should develop. 

  • Reasons for loving one another:
    • God commands it.
    • God has taken the initiative in showing love.
    • God's people are known by their love.
    • Love maintains fellowship.
    • Love promotes sacrificial service.
  • Expressing love for one another occurs:
    • In caring for the sick.
    • In meeting material needs.
    • In affectionate greetings. 
"O Lord, I would crave more and more to put on love like a garment, that in my contact with men that is what they will most lastingly recognize." 
-- Oswald Chambers, Knocking at God's Door




(Today's post was gathered from Dictionary.com, BibleGateway.com, and BlueLetterBible.org)




2 comments:

  1. I had a dream last night that you went to the hospital with me to sing hymns to my grandpa (my grandpa is not doing so good). Kinda random since we've never actually met, but it was a very loving thing to do, even if only in my dream, so I thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! How awesome. Thank you for this. :-) I will be praying for you, your family, and your grandpa. Hope the peace of God surrounds you guys.

    ReplyDelete