We are in Week 6 of the summer
and
this week we started our Hero who is going to be our Hero for the rest of the summer:
Jesus!
(Our other heroes we have done were: Abraham, Moses, Daniel, David, Esther. We also talked about Joseph and Issac, but those five each got a whole week.)
As a reminder, I am a counselor for the SUN group and co-leader for crafts and Spanish.
My Sun group is doing well! For the most part they listen well and will answer questions when asked. But, like all four and five year olds, their attention span can be very short.
There are two boys in particular, K. and D., who can be very rowdy and hard to handle sometimes. At times, they will not listen and will do things to disrupt the rest of the class, just to get off task.
It is hard, because I do not like yelling or punishing, but after awhile, consequences have to back up the actions.
One thing that I love about the Sun group is that they are memorizing Scripture!
:-)
One girl in particular, B., she is like my Scripture quoting queen!
She is usually the first to memorize the verse of the week and also one of the first to volunteer to recite it.
But, as a group, they are doing really well with it!
I ask them regularly if they remember any of our other verses from the summer
and
between the twelve of them, they can remember them all!
It makes my heart very happy to know that they are getting those and remembering it!
Here are the verses that we have learned:
"Abraham believed God's promises." -- Genesis 15:6
"Jesus said, 'If you love Me, you will obey Me.'"-- John 14:15
"I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength." -- Philippians 4:13
"I always speak the truth and refuse to tell a lie." -- Proverbs 8:7
"I always speak the truth and refuse to tell a lie." -- Proverbs 8:7
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid, for God is with you, wherever you go." -- Joshua 1:9
"For God loved the world so much, that He gave His only Son. So, whoever believes in Him, will never die, but live forever." -- John 3:16
(We have changed some words or picked a version that would be easier for them to know and understand.)
While, I am talking about Bible verses, we were learning our verse for this week (John 3:16) and when I got done reading it with the kids, one little boy, A., asks me this:"What does that mean? Live forever?" I was totally taken aback and seemingly unprepared to answer it. But, we talked through it and he seemed to understand. I told him that when we believe in God, we would always be with Him, even after we died. I was very unprepared for that when He asked. I can only thank God that I was able to stumble over some words and help him understand on a level that was good for his age.
Even at 22, my mind does not grasp the concept of eternity. It blows my mind to think about time in eternity form, that we will reign with God forever!
We have had some interesting moments in the past couple of weeks.
We have had bathroom accidents, trouble going to sleep at nap time, one incident of throw up, hitting, pushing, falling and scraping.
The past couple of days the pool that we go and swim at every day hasn't been an option. A pump for the pool got struck by lightening and they are having to get it fixed.
The first day we didn't have pool time, we went to a park on campus and let the kids run through the sprinklers. Sounds like an awesome idea, except for the fact that apparently there were ants everywhere! So, many of the kids got bitten and some had bad reactions. Needless to say, we aren't going back to the park any time soon.
Today, since the pool is still out, we went to the gym and they got to play all sorts of fun and different games that we haven't gotten to play yet.
I pray that that pool is working again soon though, because nothing wears them out and makes them tired and ready for nap time like the pool!
Today, while I was letting the boys use the bathroom before laying down, I was going around and saying who would be first, second, and so forth. Well, A., the same little boy from the story above, looked at me and said,"Well, do you know that really, whoever is first will be last and the last person will be first?"
I thought it was so funny, I was like wow!
It gave me a chuckle.
:-)
Speaking of nap time, it can be one of my favorite times or my least.
Especially after swimming, it can be hard.
Repeating over and over things like:
"Put your wet clothes in the bag."
"Put on your underwear, please."
"Stop running around."
"Sit on your cot only."
"Put on your underwear."
"Be quiet, it is time to go to sleep."
"Put on your underwear!"
But, once they are all laying down and finally asleep (for what seems like an eternity later), it is peaceful
and
we actually get a moment to breathe.
One of my favorite things to do though, when I am in the room with them while they are asleep, is to pray over them.
I pray for them and their parents, for how things might be when they go home.
I pray for their future and for the things they may encounter.
I pray for them as they are in camp this summer and that they will remember the things that we are teaching them
and
begin to learn that there is a God who is looking over them.
Days at camp can most certainly be long and hard.
Many days, I come home exhausted, with no energy.
Some days I am frustrated.
But, I wouldn't stop doing this for anything.
The bad days definitely do not outnumber the laughs, the Bible verses learned, the songs sang, hugs given, Spanish words learned, high fives, and smiling faces.
This is definitely a great job to have.
I am so thankful and blessed that God saw it good to put me here.
I do miss my family, friends, and Tuscaloosa, but
I am so happy to be in New Orleans.
:-)
Now, I hope you enjoy these pictures!

awesome. awesome, awesome.
ReplyDeleteAnd by the way, I just can't imagine any of those cute little faces up there being "rowdy"... Ha ;)