Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lord, Please Saturate Me

In all honesty, my quiet time and reading of the Word hasn't been what it should be. 
Especially lately. 

Camp has been consuming me and all of my energy for the past 6 weeks, but there are really no excuses. 

Even when I feel that I have nothing left. When there is no energy to even lift a finger. When my eyes cannot stay open any longer. 

My time in the Word and with my Lord is the most important thing. 

I refuse to let my quiet time be another thing to mark off a "to-do" list. 
I want it to be more than just reading a Psalm or a Proverb or a random chapter that I flipped up to.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Psalms and the Proverbs, but it has not been feeding me in the right way. 
Mostly because I have not put any effort into it at all. 
I read and that was that. 

I wasn't opening myself up to what God may have wanted me to hear. I wasn't allowing Him to saturate me with His promises and His words. 

No more. 

This morning was my start fresh on reading the Word in the morning and meditating on it. 
I read 2 John, where verse 6 really stuck out to me. 

"And this is love: that we walk in obedience to His commands. As you have heard from the beginning, His command is that You walk in love." 

Before I left to go walk to work this morning, I wrote on my foot, "Walk in love..."
I wanted to have this constant reminder of what the Lord showed me this morning. 
To be honest, the past couple days of camp have been some tough ones. 
We are in the middle of the summer and the kids are doing things they think they can get away with and it is hard.
I don't like to yell, I don't like to punish or sit them in time out, I don't like to take away craft time or swim time. But, these past couple of days, I have had to do it all. 

And today was another one of those days, especially this morning. 
It seemed like everything had just hit the fan. 
And of course, I should have seen it coming. I had started my day off with the Lord, surely I should have seen the devil coming from somewhere. 

When we broke off into our groups before Hero High Five, where we say our verse and do our cheers, I had the Suns. Now, in the morning for about 30 minutes or so, I am usually by myself with the Suns because my co-leader is not there yet. Thankfully, today (and all this week) there was a friend of the director in town and she stayed with the Suns and during craft time. 
Well, this morning, I was trying to get the kids ready to say the verse and they kept saying they weren't going to say it and when we would start they would say different parts or talk to one another or talk about something different or talk in different voices. Basically being 4 and 5 year olds and not listening. 
They did this over and over again. 

Then, during Hero High Five when we were all together, they would not be quiet and listen to the director or to their friends as they did their thing. 
It came time for us to do our verse and I was the only one who said it. They didn't participate and they were spinning in circles or crawling on the floor. 
Then, got mad because we didn't let them do their cheer. 

Basically is was not the Sun group that I was used to. 
They were nothing like the group I mentioned here.

As I was dealing with them, I was just telling myself over and over, "Walk in love...walk in love...walk in love." 
Towards the afternoon, the Suns and all the groups got very better. 
They were wonderful. There were still things that happened and people got into trouble, but for the most part they were good.
I played on the playground with them, ran around with them, was able to catch a few smiles and give a few hugs. 

I was able to walk in love. 

I'm so glad that the Lord led me to that passage in 2 John this morning. 
It was a beautiful reminder of what I need to be doing daily with these kids. 

So, I pray, 
Lord, that You would saturate me. 
Cover me with Your Word.
Your Word is alive and living.
Your Word is truth.
Your Words are real. 

For some ways to develop your quiet time, check this post out.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart! I am praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete