Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Went Barefoot


Today I went barefoot, for a cause. Today I went barefoot to put myself in the place of millions of kids around the world who do not have shoes. Kids everywhere, especially in other countries, have to go without shoes everyday. They put themselves at risk for cuts and sores that can lead to diseases. Some kids are even denied education because they need shoes to attend. Here are some more facts about why I went barefoot today:

* Fact #1: In some developing nations, children must walk for miles to food, clean water and to seek medical help.
* Fact #2: Cuts and sores on feet can lead to serious infection.
* Fact #3: Often, children cannot attend school barefoot.
* Fact #4: In Ethiopia, approximately one million people are suffering from Podoconiosis, a debilitating and disfiguring disease caused by walking barefoot in volcanic soil.
* Fact #5: Podoconiosis is 100% preventable by wearing shoes.

Today is not the only day that we can go barefoot for these kids. If you missed today, I hope that maybe you will go barefoot on your own time. It gives you a tiny hint at what these kids have to go through almost everyday. For more information about the event, and for more ways to support the cause, you can click here.

Hope you can go barefoot sometime and happy walking!




"Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for a man to humble himself? Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loosen chains of injustice...to set the oppressed free...Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter...Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here I am." -- Isaiah 58:5-9

No comments:

Post a Comment