Friday, May 11, 2012

The Graduate

After 5 years and 4 different majors, the time finally came. 
The time to graduate.

On May 4th, 2012, 
I became an alumna of The University of Alabama 
and 
graduated with a 
Bachelor of Science  
in 
Human Development and Family Studies. 

It was a wonderful weekend and I was very thankful to have my mom, dad, sisters, and other family members and friends present to celebrate with me. It meant so much to me to have them there. 

The week before graduation, it didn't really seem like it was happening. I was still in the mode of taking finals and working at my job, so I didn't have much time to think about it. However, when it kept getting closer and my family started coming into town, I was like, "Wait! This is really happening. I'm graduating...from college!"
I told my friends that while we were waiting to walk in, I felt like someone was going to come up and be like, "Just kidding. You aren't really graduating today." 
But, there we were, surrounded by fellow students, most of whom I had never seen before, graduating.
Everyone in their cap and gown, holding our name cards.
As we walked into the Coliseum, I started looking for my family and surprisingly found them pretty quickly. I waved and smiled as they took pictures and looked around at everyone doing the same. 

Then, the ceremony began. 
The different colleges were announced and we turned our tassels, then waited for our time to cross the stage. 
Of course, my college was the last to be presented and I am a "U", so I had to wait anxiously until my row stood up to go to the stage. 
I walked around, looking in the crowd to see if I saw anyone I knew, still not really believing what I was doing. 
Then, I was a few steps from the stairs and before I knew it I was handing my card to the name reader. 
I smiled, one because he pronounced my name right and two, well I was walking across a stage to get a diploma...from college! And three, because I could hear my family section screaming.
I shook hands with the important people and then found my way in the tunnel to get my picture taken. 
Then, I went back to my seat, finding my family again so they could snap more pictures.

And then, the cheers began from the graduates. 

Our last classmate had stepped across the stage. 

It was over. 

We had done it. 

The Alma Mater was sang and we were dismissed.
I waited in the tunnel for my friend that was near me and we walked out together, arms linked and laughing because it was all so surreal that we just graduated college. 

Later that night, my family came to my apartment and we celebrated. 
The next night, we had a Graduation Dinner at my church and then I celebrated with friends after. 

It was the last time that many of us would be together for awhile. 
We ate, we laughed, we danced, we cried, we hugged, 
and 
we said goodbye. 

Underneath a sky lit by a Super Moon, I drove away from a house full of amazing friends, with more memories than I could have ever asked for. 

My sisters and I in our old spots in the back of Dad's truck. 

The Gang at Cracker Barrel for lunch! 












Fellow Graduates! 
:-) 





1 comment:

  1. Your major sounds so much better than mine. I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I just went with Liberal Studies and a minor in Bible. I wish I would have changed mine 4 times...atleast if it'd mean I would have got it right!

    Congrats...can't wait to see where life takes you next ;)

    ReplyDelete