Saturday, March 31, 2012

It's a Life Change, Worship to the Lord



If there is one thing you haven't learned from reading my blog and seeing pictures that I have taken, I love trees.  My all time favorite scene to capture is the sun shining through trees like the one above. Not to mention two of my favorite Bible verses speak of trees, vines and branches. 


This is a passage found in John chapter 15, verses 1-8:
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."

Another of my favorites speaks about the Cross and how we are healed by Christ's wounds in 1 Peter chapter 2, verse 24: 
"He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed."

I took the picture above at Camp Sumatanga in Alabama earlier this year when my college ministry went on our Winter Road Trip. This was the last chance I would have to go on a roadtrip with my college ministry. Of course it was bittersweet, but it was also a wonderful time! I hate that I didn't take more pictures, but I was too busy soaking up the Word and enjoying fellowship with my brother and sisters. 
We focused on the Gospel and how it impacts us as individuals and how it impacts the church, both body and building. 


One part of the teaching that sticks out to me is focused around Romans 12:1-8:
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

Here are some notes that I took from that session:
  • The Gospel changes how we use our bodies, simply because Christ is our treasure. 
  • Every "do not" in the Word is drenched in love. We are to not conform, but to be transformed. 
  • The Gospel changes how we use our minds and how we think.
  • The Gospel changes how we think of ourselves. 
  • The Gospel changes how we view the local church and our assigned roles.
The bullet point in bold is the one that had the most impact on me and something that the Lord has really placed on my heart to truly think about and take to heart. I'm not saying that I have had a negative self-image, but I mean let's face it, I am a girl. What girl, or guy for that matter, has never thought about something that they would change about themselves? It hasn't been until recently that I have begun to see what it means to belong to the Lord as His daughter, to view my body "as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God." 
I have always had that "resolution" to lose weight, eat healthier, and fit into a smaller pair of jeans. As we all know, resolutions rarely ever last. Then, my view of losing weight turned to: getting healthier. It isn't about looking better, gaining attention from guys or competing against other women to "look good." It is about "true and proper worship." My body is not my own, but God's. I was created in His image to do His work. This is about being transformed by renewing my mind to the things of Christ. I want to be the daughter and servant that He has called me to be. 
The discipline is hard, physically and spiritually, but in the end the harvest is righteousness and peace. 

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 'Make level paths for your feet,' so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed."

Hebrews 12:11-13

So, here I am on this new journey. 
One that will be hard, but I know will be worth it in the end. 
A transformation and renewing of my mind, of how I think about myself. 
A journey to discover the way that the Lord sees me. 

Beautiful, holy and pleasing to Him. 


1 comment:

  1. I have a thing for trees too. When I go hiking I can just sit and watch the trees for hours...the way the breeze gently passes through them...I probably have hundreds of pictures of just trees.

    And I love the second point from your notes, that every "do not" is drenched in love.

    ReplyDelete