Hey Everyone!! It has been awhile, but I have started my summer in Mobile, Alabama. I am doing an internship with 3.0 Ministry. There are 25 interns in all and we are divided around Mobile doing missional work with the church and getting out in the community. I wanted to tell a little about it and what I have been busy doing. :-)
We are all in various sites around Mobile working with low income or poverty level communities and one site that is involved with refugees from many different countries.
I am at the site of Whistler United Methodist. Me and 3 other interns have put together a Kids Camp that will last until the end of July. So far, we have 50 kids registered! That is already 20 more than the final number last year. People have been very responsive and they have been spreading the word for us. We are running the camp from Tuesday to Thursday each week for ages 5-13 from 12-3 P.M. We are also partners with the Mobile Bay Area Food Bank. And from 12-12:30 the kids who come get a free lunch! That has been a definite plus for many people in the area. Everyday we have Lunch, then some free-time, then we have a Bible Story, Arts and Crafts, Snack, and more free-time, then time to go home.
The community of Whistler is located right outside of Prichard, AL. Technically, it has been annexed into Prichard along with 8 Mile. All have various levels of low income and poverty. But, everyone has been open to us being here.
I also wanted to tell ya'll about some other things that we have gotten to do while down here. Our main job as interns is to build relationships with the church and it's surrounding community. Which, our main focus is the kids camps. But, we are also doing things in and around Mobile, to build relationships with other age groups and other people. We had a Refugee Dinner one night that brought in people from at least 10 different countries! It was amazing being around the and experiencing that. They were all wonderful. We have also hung out with MFUGE for a day. MFUGE is one of the camps partnered with Lifeway that does camps and things during the summer. They also have CentriKids and CentriFuge. We went to visit them in Happy Hills, which is right around the corner from Whistler and basically one of the projects of Prichard. We got to learn what they did, which is similar to what we are doing, and hung out with the kids there. This past Tuesday, we partnered with an organization called The Grove and served dinner for the homeless at 15th Place. It is located downtown and they serve meals for the homeless everyday I think. It was an honor really getting to serve them. They were very appreciative and thankful.
We have a lot more coming up in the next few weeks and month, but I will right more about that later when they happen and I can talk more about it! It has definitely been a great experience so far and I'm loving every minute of it. I will also post some pictures soon as well! Please be praying for us all here. We are working hard and trying not to get tired. Some sickness has been going around, which I did catch. :-/ But, I went to the doctor today and got some meds. So, hopefully I will be doing better soon.
I'm happy to announce that my sister and brother-in-law have fully decided to adopt!! They have had some complications in the past with trying to have a child, but now they are fully intent on adopting and I couldn't be more excited for them! They are going to be great parents and I can't wait to see who and how many God sends there way.
Adoption can be a pretty big deal financially as well. My sister has opened up a shop online to sell her signs that she makes. They are very awesome and can be customizable. All the money will go into their adoption fund to help raise money.
For more information you can visit my sister's blog here.
Or go to her online shop and look around and maybe purchase something, here.
If anything, please be in prayer for them as they start this journey. It is very exciting and we can't wait to support them and be with them through this! :-) :-) :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment